Right now, I am in a place of complete uncertainty. I feel absolutely no direction as to where I should go or what I should do after this summer. The job search has been futile; there really is very little out there right now. I'm experiencing a time where I can do nothing but completely trust God to direct me. And, that is so scary and frustrating for me to do. I know God has been faithful in the past...college, friends, my job...it's all worked out. Yet, it is still so hard for me to apply that to my future. I just keep praying that God will point me in the right direction, whether that be here in Northwest Iowa or closer to the cities, etc. I am also struggling to determine whether I really want to teach or find an alternative way to work with kids.
So, friends and family, if you think of it, please pray for me to have patience and peace in this process. I love you all!
On another note, I read this recently in a book called "Nickel and Dimed: On (not) getting by in America". It's provocative and has got me thinking about my faith and life in general.
"The preaching goes on, interrupted with dutiful 'amens.' It would be nice if someone would read this sad-eyed crowd the Sermon on the Mount, accompanied by a rousing commentary on income inequality and the need for a hike in the minimum wage. But Jesus makes his appearance here only as a corpse: the living man, the wine-guzzling vagrant and precocious socialist, is never once mentioned, nor anything he had to say. Christ crucified rules, and it may be that the true business of modern Christianity is to crucify him again and again so that he can never get a word out of his mouth."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Very interesting quote, something I'll think about for a while. However, it does sit a little raw with me that they called Jesus a "wine-guzzling vagrant." Sure, Jesus drank wine, but I'm pretty sure "wine-guzzling" is incorrect (ie "do not get drunk on wine") and vagrant seems.....irreligious?
I'll be praying for God to give you direction. I feel your pain.
A relative gave me that book in high school, and then I re-read it for a Poli. Sci. class at NW a few years ago. It really is quite provocative, I agree...it was eye-opening in some respects because I think we "care" more for the really poor because they stand out, but notice less clearly the struggles of the "working poor".
Good luck with the job search!
My dear Stephanie, you probably knew I would have to comment; is it better to give the hungry a fish to eat or teach them how to fish. As far as minimum wage what is enough, $15 an hour or maybe $25. Self worth & pride come from learning, hard work, good friends, desire, and faith in Christ.
Lastly, I have seen God provide for you each step of the way in your life and I know he will lead you exactly where he wants you to be.
Post a Comment