Saturday, October 11, 2008

Love.

I never expected to love four year old children ... much less absolutely love working with them everday. Excitement builds every morning as I drive to work. Laughter sustains me throughout the day. Peace radiates through my mind as I drive home. It's so wonderful, this pure joy that I experience.

On a less dramatic note, our 14 kids are adorable. They say some of the craziest, funniest things: Things that make any and all frustrating moments worth while.

A day in preschool:
* Naked children who don't realize that they can only change in the bathroom!
* Unofficial birthday party invitations.
* Grimy hands and runny noses.
* Little mouths blowing on the whistle hanging from my lanyard.
* Lots and lots of hugs!

Cute quotes:
* "Ms. Stromgren, will you pet me?" Yes, I will rub your back!
* Looking at my co-worker's lunch of oatmeal: "Ooh. I just love porridge!"
* In a distinctly southern accent: "I just really love apple pie! Yep. That's what I've been thinking about lately." Keep in mind this is a young boy of distinctly scandinavian heritage!
* During story time when the kids are supposed to sit quietly [criss-cross apple sauce], Nathan stands up and walks to my side. "Ms. Stromgren, I love you!" He quietly returns to his seat with a little grin.
* Arms spread wide, head facing the ceiling, Nick whines: "Ms. Stromgren, I just want a hug!"

I have so many more pictures and stories that I'd love to share. So, more to come!

2 comments:

Katie said...

4 is a good age. By 7, they already are snippy, at 2 they don't understand nearly as much. 4 is perfect. Your post makes me want to work with you and the cute 4 year olds. ;)

Katie said...

I think I just had a dream about you last night. I woke up feeling like we had just hung out for a long time. :) It was nice.