As I contemplate my day, I find myself sitting alone in my classroom enjoying the silence. Today's lesson was a flop; I'm pretty sure nothing went right. But, tomorrow should be fun. We will be making models of the lungs and diaphragm...the model I was trying to make when I sent myself to the emergency room last semester! (I'm pretty sure I still owe Betsy. I probably would've bled to death if she hadn't been there!) Knowing my dislike for blood, my students will most assuredly enjoy my ER story!
While studying the heart this week, I randomly mentioned how certain friends of mine (Kate!) and I hate Valentine's Day and always wear black on that particular day. After ranting about it being a commercialized, consumer-driven faux-holiday, to which my students just giggled nervously, they decided they would like to celebrate with me. They decided on "The Day of the Dark" and have committed to wearing black. They seriously are so into it! I'm pretty sure the memo was written on my calendar and white board multiple times today even though I reminded them that it isn't for a couple weeks still!
Later, two of my students decided to stay after school and help me prepare for tomorrow. They swept my floor, cleaned my boards, and then helped me with other odd jobs around the room. Unfortunately, I still had to straighten the desks...just once though since a friend kindly commented that twice was too much! My students just really enjoy cleaning my room, and I really cannot complain about that! They also apparently want to buy me a swiffer for Valentine's Day!
My favorite moment of the day occurred in my last class period when we were discussing the lungs. Dylan and Torin decided it would be fun to make themselves hyperventilate (which I strongly encouraged them to discontinue) by breathing in and out rather rapidly. After about two minutes of this, a voice yells from the front, "Quit it, guys! You sound like you are women giving birth back there!" I am pretty sure any resemblance of control I had before then was completely gone. I thought I was going to cry!
So, even in the misery of lessons that just don't click, there is just so much to enjoy. I mean how can you not enjoy life when you try to carry on a serious conversation with a girl who says "testicles" instead of "intestines"? You just got to love middle school students!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Wow, I don't really like kids, but these stories make me want to teach. They are hilarious!
It's funny that you told the kids about our valentine tradition. I was just trying to explain the day of H&K to my small group, but I think most of them thought I'm a crazy person...which is understandable. But still, I love that your kids are getting into the Day of the Dark. I hope you don't get too many parents calling you to ask why their kids suddenly have an interest in black instead of hearts and kisses. :)
Post a Comment