Today was a riot. Here's what went down:
1. Jennifer is a bright, energetic student who is openly honest with me. The first words out of her mouth this morning were, "Ms. Stromgren, wow! Are you having a bad hair day?!"
2. During the first class period, my students are uncharacteristically quiet. At one point, I turn to open a PowerPoint presentation on my computer, and every student erupts into outrageous laughter. "Ms. Stromgren, nasty! What did you do?" Confused, and slightly cranky, I quickly re-direct their attention back to the lungs. About five minutes later, Dominique pipes up that we should do the breathing exercises that I taught them last week. "Please! Just once!" He whines. Fine, I say. Just once. So we start, "Breathe in for four seconds. Hold for 10." About halfway during that magnificently quiet 10 seconds, the sound of a huge fart erupts from the opposite corner of my room. Assuming it is one of my students and not wanting to embarrass him or her, I quickly end the breathing exercise, "Now exhale for 7 seconds." Once again, there is the noise. I instinctively make a face that shows my confusion. My students die with laughter, and I'm pretty sure some of them started to cry. They explain to me that while I was in the hallway, they had taped this 'fart machine' underneath my desk and used a remote control to set off the sounds at will. What a great prank! I loved it! I was doubled over, crying with the rest of them!
3. During homeroom, "Ms. Stromgren, it's National Popcorn Day! Why in the world are we in school? It's a holiday!" I reply that yes, it certainly does fit right up there with Christmas and Thanksgiving!
4. At the end of study hall, a number of my students come rushing into my classroom exclaiming that the band teacher brought her pet baby raccoon into school. About 25 students parade into the room yelling, "Shhh. You are going to scare it! Shhh... SHHH!!!" They crowd around me as I begin to peer into a well-built wooden crate. Well, those lovely students of mine got a great laugh when, much to my surprise, a stuffed raccoon tail comes flying out the door at my face. I, of course, scream. Loudly. They laugh. And, I try to re-compose myself. Again.
Aah. Sixth grade. Sixth graders. What more can I say?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
lol :) sounds like your kids love you, steph. how could they not? i wish i could have seen your face with the farting. tooooooo funny. smart kids! hope you're having a good day! love you!
What little smarties! I would never have thought up those funny pranks when I was that age.
It sounds like you are having lots of fun (and they are too!).
Hope today goes well too. Love you.
i love reading your posts. seriously. i'm glad things are going well :-)
Post a Comment