I officially made it through my first six days of teaching. There were many ups and downs...but mostly I just laughed a lot. 6th graders are odd, to say the least.
Here are a variety of thoughts I've had since moving back to Orange City and teaching:
* I would die without my radio, especially on these lazy, lonely, rural roads. Please, speakers, don't die on me completely!
* Sleep is good. So good. 8 hours is great, but 9 is ideal!
* I cannot-and never will-live alone.
* I am in love with my SMART board. I asked my students to name calcium-rich foods, and they looked at me with complete contempt. Then, I told them they could write their answers on the SMART board and, you would not believe it, every stinken' kid had their hand waving wildly in the air! I laughed...a lot.
* Students LOVE to share stories about broken bones. My lesson on bone fractures took twice as long as anticipated, because an unrealistic number of my students are either completely reckless or unbelievably unlucky.
* I am once again experiencing empathy for my students. I feel anger towards those who socially ostracize their peers. Sadness for those who just don't fit in. Frustration with parents/guardians who are unavailable, unkind, etc... Gosh, it's hard working with people!
* It is difficult to learn the names of 65 kids. I still have no idea who 'Tommy' is!
* The Barker family completely spoils me. I have never felt so pampered in my life!
* Every day I am amazed at the many ways I see God. Even in my apathy, God is continually blessing me in such profound ways.
And, for those of you who love these, here are some Daniel stories:
* On Monday, Daniel spent a large portion of the evening hanging out in my bedroom, frantically trying to grind wintergreen lifesavers into a cocaine-like substance. He said that we could sell it on the street. Apparantly, this is worth a fortune, especially in Chicago! I told him I love new adventures that put my life and work at risk!
* We have watched the 5th season of Family Guy an ungodly number of times. We've even watched EVERY SINGLE episode with commentary.
* Daniel owns a number of masks. One in particular, from Slipknot, is absolutely terrifying. Knowing that it freaks me out, he tries at every chance to scare me. Whether this means hiding behing doors, in my closet, or at the bottom of the staircase, he never tires of making me scream!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
That is hilarious Steph! I love the stories. keep em comin'!
I hear that the first few weeks are always tough. It just takes a while to fit into any job. But I know you are going to be amazing! I'm sure the kids are in love with you (and the smart board).
Oh Steph - I can only imagine what an adventure you are having. How exciting! Keep the Daniel stories coming. I love them!!!
Steph, thank you SO MUCH for the stories- both the classroom and at home 'youth' stories hit a wonderful place in my heart, and I laugh so much! You really have a beautiful spirit, because trust me, not everyone can find the joy of working with 6th graders! :):) LOVE YOU.
yay! i like reading your blog...and hearing your stories in person :-) can't wait until next weekend so we can hang out again. hope school is going well this week... mwah!
Steph has a BLOG?! :D I'm so excited! Can't wait to hear more stories from your adventures in the Barker house and in 6th grade!
Oh, the people you'll meet on mullberry street...or in 6th grade!
Love your sense of humor and I'm sure that the kids do as well.
Thanks for sharing.
cheryl
Steph,
It was so nice to see you today in such high spirits after your detour getting home.
I'm enjoying more of your BLOG stories...have you considered writing a book? It could be called: Ms. Stromgren's Silly Stories while Soliciting a Solution for Students Sparking Spontaneous "X-Speriments".
Post a Comment